[OSM-talk] Remove opt-out from Automated Edits code of conduct

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Feb 21 18:56:21 UTC 2021

I propose to remove

"Respect "opt out" requests, i.e. if someone contacts you and asks
you to stop making automated edits to things that they have edited,
you must comply with that wish, and you must modify your software
or procedure to leave those objects untouched in the future."

and

"Information on how to "opt out""
from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct

Either automated edit makes sense and there is no good reason
to exclude objects that were ever edited by specific person
or automated edit makes no sense and would be rejected
during review process.

Disclaimers:

I made some automated edits, I never encountered
anyone requesting this, I am not aware about anyone requesting this,
I am not aware about any case where it would made sense.

I make fun of that requirement in my bot documentation.

Note that it is part of a more general problem:

Current Automated Edits code of conduct is in quite ridiculous situation:
basically all automated edits violate it completely or partially.
Look at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Automated_edits_log
- half of pages are for my edits, and I am definitely making far less
than half of automated edits in OSM.

It has an interesting side effect that you can revert almost any automated edit,
because it is done in violation of code of conduct.

It would be useful to remove some of onerous and pointless requirements
and keep just what actually matters.