[OSM-talk] Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Jan 23 10:19:50 UTC 2021

I don't quite understand why, outside of a specialized keyboard, you are
reinventing the wheel (and fragmenting available development resources,
OK, I suppose that is one of the hallmarks of OSM development which
unluckily get rewarded time and time again). Vespucci:

- allows you to directly enter address for upload, aka enter once, no
2nd pass needed at home

- automatically will download existing data (so that you don't
accidentally duplicate existing data)

- can highlight missing tags, for example addresses

- has all the background and overlay layers from ELI available

- has address prediction that will automatically detect odd / even
address schemes and increment and is street side aware

- allows you to configure which address tags should be set on addresses
(this tends to be a question of national preference)

- handles addr:street and addr:place

- seeds address tags values from existing data

- and many other things like conflict resolution and so on.

All since more than half a decade (actually 7 years).

Yes, as said, it is true that it doesn't have a specialized keyboard,
but as you typically only have to type in a small number of numbers per
street, if any at all, the pain isn't really large enough to offset the
complexity caused by i18n support that would be required. But we even
have an issue for that
https://github.com/MarcusWolschon/osmeditor4android/issues/574 and if
somebody wants to put the effort (see i18n problems) a PR would be
gladly accepted.

Simon