[OSM-talk] Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jan 24 01:06:03 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 1/24/21 01:22, Simon Poole wrote:
>> When I'm walking around I can already see the "imagery" with my own
>> eyes. Some background (OSM tiles are fine) could be useful for
>> reference but it should be light and/or preloaded ahead of time.

> That is incorrect, being on the ground in front of a building that you
> can see both from the ground and on imagery is a game changer (for
> example for placing a combined address/entrance node).

I'm a convert in this regard. For a long time I used Vespucci without a
data plan on the mobile phone, so I downloaded the area of interest from
OSM before I went, then went out mapping, uploaded my stuff later, and
thought exactly what ndrw writes above - who needs aerial imagery when
you are actually in the place.

But after I had switched to a flat-rate data plan Vespucci would
suddenly show me the imagery that I thought was totally unnecessary, and
it turned out to be a game changer, helping me to do a much better job.

Of course, YYMMV and just as Simon says,

> if you
> are happy then more power to you.

- but my recommendation to anyone who is doing mobile mapping without
aerial imagery would be to at least give it a try and see if you have
some kind of epiphany, like I did.

Bye
Frederik