[OSM-talk] Introducing SwiftAddress, an highly efficient way of collecting housenumbers

ndrw ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 02:13:32 UTC 2021

[snip]

Clearly, Vespucci is designed for a very different usage model from
mine, and from your response it doesn't appear you are particularly
interested in my use cases either. That's fine but please don't stop
others experiment with solutions that may fill this void. As much as I
like jOSM (or its editing model), I don't want it on my mobile and I
don't want to use it on the go.

Some comments about other tools I've tried. Correct me if there are any
factual errors because, frankly, I haven't used some of them much:

- SwiftAddress - currently it doesn't work on my mobile (the editor
function, at least) but it is targeting one of the use cases I have
(walking surveys of house numbers)

- StreetComplete - I like the concept but I would like it to defer
uploads and to focus only on a task I'm working (e.g. house numbers
only, like in this discussion). It's a bit philosophical but a good tool
should empower the user in doing what he/she wants, StreetComplete feels
like the user is its tool.

- OsmAnd - I only used it for taking GPX tracks and audio/video notes.
Editing model is similar to that of Vespucci. Free version doesn't allow
frequent map updates and online tiles are slow and tedious to update.

- iD - not designed for small screens but on a tablet it is OK for
simple editing. Very slow, though, because of its online-only model but
that's mostly a technological issue.

- Maps.me - I used it on several occasions - very limited features but
rather usable. Unfortunately, it looks like editing functions have been
removed from newer versions.

- Pen and map printouts - still the best tool for walking surveys. I
wish I could add handwritten notes directly on a tablet screen
displaying a map. By the way, does anyone know a tool that can do it?
Not necessarily a map, a note taking app with a scalable map as a
background would be fine.

- Dictaphone and camera (for reference) - still the best tool for
surveys whilst riding/driving but it works well for traffic related data
(road layout, signs, traffic calming) or in secluded areas without traffic.

- Mappilary or camera only - good for larger features but missing a lot
of details because of limited image resolution and cropping.

Any other tools worth trying?

-ndrw6