[OSM-talk] Fwd: Fix maritime borders of Ceuta and Melilla (Spain)

Alejandro Moreno almorca at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 09:01:39 UTC 2021

> On 12/01/2021 14:43, Alejandro Moreno wrote:
> > A few years ago there was a decision about the maritime borders of
> > Ceuta and Melilla (Spanish cities surrounded by Morocco) and it was
> > settled at
> > https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=606038#p606038
> > <https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=606038#p606038>
> >
> To be clear, that forum thread wasn't primarily about the _maritime_
> borders but about the status of the _land_.  I do agree that a
> discussion about the meritime borders makes sense though.
>

> > Nowadays relation are erased and now the maritime borders look bad at
> > OSM as the area belonging to Spain does not appear on the map and
> > "territorial waters" aren't in the relation of Spain border. The
> > commentary on
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49804213#map=8/35.315/-1.862
> > <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/49804213#map=8/35.315/-1.862>
> > explains why the waters of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish territory.
>
> Of the two sites referenced there, http://www.gibnet.com/fish/waters.htm
> does not mention Ceuta and Melilla at all - it merely states the UK
> claim re Gribraltar that British Sovereignty of Gibraltar's "land
> territory" entitles it to Sovereignty of "a sea belt adjacent to its
> coast.".
>
> It would be good to see a visualisation of what the other site,
>
> https://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/data/maritime-boundaries#tab-gis-data
> , covers and what the claim actually is.

Whoever disagrees with the maritime border should be the one to justify it
since, unless proven otherwise, every territory with a coastline has
territorial waters. From United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (
https://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/unclos_e.pdf
page 27 ) "The sovereignty of a coastal State extends, beyond its land
territoryand internal waters and, in the case of an archipelagic State, its
archipelagicwaters, to an adjacent belt of sea, described as the
territorial sea."

As a source, http://www.seaaroundus.org/data/#/eez can be used to see the
territorial waters of Ceuta and Melilla that is equal to EEZ. For me is
difficult to find any other source of maritime border.