[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Abdullah Abdulrhman abdullahOSM at outlook.com
Fri Jul 2 08:07:08 UTC 2021

First: The basic rule about name is not based on the names of other organizations, but is based on:
On_the_Ground_Rule<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule>
 If some organizations call it by other names, this is not binding on us. The name used in most of the countries surrounding the Gulf is the Arabic name, not the Persian, and we told you the historical and ancient name is written in the int_name tag.

Second: What you claim that the United Nations adopts the Persian name is a false claim, and the document to which the Iranians always attribute this thing is just a research presented by one of the Iranian researchers (unbiased opinion ) to the (United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names) at its 23rd session in 2006:
https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/ungegn/docs/23-gegn/wp/gegn23wp61.pdf
No decision was issued by the team regarding the nomenclature. All that happened was that the host of the conference thanked the researcher (this is a permanent protocol) and said: It is not possible to prevent countries from using or creating the names they want.
Thats all about it
This is the link to the course report in Arabic p. 30 No. 106:
https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/UNGEGN/docs/23-gegn/gegn-23-arabic.pdf
This is the report in English p.21:
https://unstats.un.org/unsd/geoinfo/UNGEGN/docs/23-gegn/gegn-23-english.pdf

Regards,