[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 08:41:17 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 2. Juli 2021 um 10:07 Uhr schrieb Abdullah Abdulrhman <
abdullahOSM at outlook.com>:

> First: The basic rule about name is not based on the names of other
> organizations, but is based on:
> On_the_Ground_Rule
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule>
>  If some organizations call it by other names, this is not binding on us.
> The name used in most of the countries surrounding the Gulf is the Arabic
> name, not the Persian, and we told you the historical and ancient name is
> written in the int_name tag.

the issue with water bodies is that there is no "ground". For international
waters it doesn't seem far fetched to look what IHO and UN are using. Among
other countries, these are IHO members as well:
Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain.
IHO uses the name "Gulf of Iran (Persian Gulf)", in the S23 standard, p. 21
on top:
https://iho.int/uploads/user/pubs/standards/s-23/S-23_Ed3_1953_EN.pdf
(original from 1953, here's the 2002 draft for the 4th edition:
https://legacy.iho.int/mtg_docs/com_wg/S-23WG/S-23WG_Misc/Draft_2002/S-23_Draft_2002_INDIAN_OCEAN.doc
)

Leaving the name tag empty could be a viable compromise, but for name:en.
which was mentioned as well, English use should matter.

Cheers,
Martin