[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 15:12:34 UTC 2021

On 07/07/2021 15:31, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:
> Your proposal seems a good compromise as to use "Arabic Gulf" as the
> Arab name used for the name "Persian Gulf", however not compliant with
> our wiki instructions. The Arab "translation" in the name:ar key
> should be Persian Gulf written in Arab. Arab Gulf remains in the
> alt_name.  The wiki is clear about this, so both in Farsi as in Arab
> it should read Persian Gulf, no matter the cultural, political or
> other sensitivities.

No.

The "name:language" value should be "what people who speak that language
call that place".  See for example
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/267762522 , where the various
language name values aren't all simple translations.  It's been
mentioned previously, but that one also has "name:en_GB" and
"name:en_IE" as different values, as an example.

Best Regards,

Andy