[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:31:06 UTC 2021

Nice attempt Ebrahim and much appreciated, I know it's sensitive.

Your proposal seems a good compromise as to use "Arabic Gulf" as the
Arab name used for the name "Persian Gulf", however not compliant with
our wiki instructions. The Arab "translation" in the name:ar key should
be Persian Gulf written in Arab. Arab Gulf remains in the alt_name.  The
wiki is clear about this, so both in Farsi as in Arab it should read
Persian Gulf, no matter the cultural, political or other sensitivities.
Mixing both in the language keys will invite people to change the name
back to one of the preferences in the name.fa or name:ar keys. It's
exactly what we should avoid. Name should reflect the most common name
in that specific language accepted by the majority of the world
community, shown in maps by the majority of "non-related" countries or
in case of doubt or disputes follow UN naming.

It is not the Iranian or Arabian community to decide here what the name
should be or what one or the other prefer. The international waters name
in OSM is given by an international community, the majority of the
world, no matter what language they speak or script they use.

Similar issues appear worldwide when it comes to boundaries and names,
locally even within borders it incites lots of issues.  The only
remaining "compromise" not to disregard minorities or when a dispute is
significant seems to me to use a "disputed" key with the name
namespace.  I also intend to start using it for other similar conflicts.
To reflect minority naming issues I propose to add name:disputed=yes or
name:disputed=Arab community. I will be happy to make a wiki page for it
and take it out for voting as a proposal.

I know it might be difficult and sensitive to make a conclusion here as
somebody locally involved, but very brave, my respect !  I think the DWG
should not be conclusive as you prefer, in my interpretation of their
mandate they don't decide about values in keys because of political
bias. The broader OSM community is.

Greetings,

Bert Araali