[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:09:41 UTC 2021

Lot's of context and references were presented, different compromises
and tagging schemes proposed. Those willing to form a non-biased
rational opinion, the historical, political, cultural and religious
motives behind the issue were able and given the opportunity to do so.

The term international waters is an informal term
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_waters
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_waters>) used to reference
any waters outside the Territorial waters, Archipelagic waters,
Contiguous zone and Exclusive economic zones (EEZs), in the UNCLOS III
agreement mostly referred to as Continental plate and High seas.
Although it's an informal term it is generally known.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_on_the_Law_of_the_Sea
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Convention_on_the_Law_of_the_Sea>
, )
As you probably know, UNCLOS III is the International Convention on the
Law of the Sea, ratified since 1994, by consensus and a large group of
countries around the world.  Some countries have not ratified it but do
acknowledge adherence and compliance to most of the contents in the
treaty that apply here.

When it comes to "local use" of the term "Arabic Gulf" the verification
which we can make is:
- the member states of the GCC
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Cooperation_Council
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Cooperation_Council>), all Arabic
speaking countries, are the only verifiable authoritative or official
resource sometimes using the term "Arabic Gulf" for these waters in
non-official communication.
until now I couldn't find any official document that uses the term
"Arabic Gulf", neither "Persian Gulf". The GCC member states are all
constitutional or absolute monarchies. With all due respect, but one
could question to what extend there opinion reflect the general opinion
of their people or just the private interests of the monarchies. The GCC
was established during the Iran - Iraq war and both their logo, the use
of only Arabic on the logo and the use of "Gulf" in the name (not
"Persian Gulf" and NOT "Arabian Gulf") reflects the main political
motives as excluding and acting against Iran. This is publicly and
internationally known and acknowledged, so it doesn't make sense to deny
this. No one here makes a statement if this is justified, appropriate
due to their policies or the policies practised by the Iranians.

- The majority of historical maps, even those in Arabic, refer to the
waters as "Persian Gulf". "Arabic Gulf" was historically used by a few
British during the colonial era and Arab countries part of the Arab
Peninsula (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf_naming_dispute
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Gulf_naming_dispute>). So far I
haven't found any maps or charts, neither current or historical
established by international communities or authorities that use the
name "Arabic Gulf". In the contrary, some historical maps exist where
the Red Sea was named Arabian Gulf instead of the Persian Gulf, which
adds only more confusion. On some historical Arabic maps, on display in
Arabic countries of the GCC, "Persian" has been purposely removed from
"Persian Gulf".

- No one denies the fact that "Arabian Gulf" is used by the GCC, the
monarchies of the countries of the Arabian Peninsula or their
supporters. This can justify the use "Arabian Gulf" in the alt_name OSM
key or some local_name variants, as is already proposed by several OSM
members here in respect to local use and local communities, being it
minorities or majorities.

- To my knowledge no one has ever officially requested a name change in
the international community, being it the UNGEGN
(https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/statistics/standardization-of-geographical-names.html
<https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/statistics/standardization-of-geographical-names.html>),
the FAO or other UN organisations, to change the name from "Persian
Gulf" to "Arabic Gulf" or use them side by side as official
internationally recognised names. Some countries use the term "Gulf", as
the USA does in a minority of instances. I don't make any conclusion
anywhere for their motives but be aware that the USA is not the world
community and is the most important party that has not ratified UNCLOS III.
- A personal observation: "Arabic Gulf" is mostly used by Sunni Muslims,
it's different for Shia Muslims which make up a large group of local
Arabic speaking people around the Gulf. Again, I don't make a conclusion
here or take a political, cultural or religious point of view, it is an
objective yet personal observation both from having visited multiple
countries in the region, member states of the GCC and Iran.

- Argumentation that the majority, in numbers, of people around the Gulf
are Arabic speaking and therefore support or use an official name
"Arabic Gulf" is not supported by independent concrete studies,
enquiries or surveys, thus should not belong in the OSM name field.
Neither does the fact that the longest stretch of coastal line around
the Gulf is occupied by Arabic speaking countries gives neither of the
states a fundamental right to determine the official international name
for the international waters.

When it comes to "official use" of the term "Persian Gulf":

- The majority of the international community, being it the UN
(https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/persian_gulf.htm
<https://www.un.org/depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/persian_gulf.htm>,
https://www.un.org/depts/los/nippon/unnff_programme_home/alumni/tokyo_alumni_presents_files/alum_tokyo_dehghani.pdf
<https://www.un.org/depts/los/nippon/unnff_programme_home/alumni/tokyo_alumni_presents_files/alum_tokyo_dehghani.pdf>),
FAO (http://www.fao.org/fishery/facp/IRN/en
<http://www.fao.org/fishery/facp/IRN/en>), Nautical charts, Wikipedia
etc... in most cases uses "Persian Gulf", which makes it justified as
the ONLY name to be used with the OSM key:name.

- The Iranians did bring a comprehensive investigative historical report
to the UNGEGN. Being it biased or not, complete or not, was not
concluded in this UN group. Neither should we disrespect the extensive
and professional work done by the scientists, no matter what nationality
they have, unless you can come up with significant facts that prove the
contrary and the courage to present and discuss it publicly, references
and verification through reputed channels and in the UN.

- Despite the fact that Iran and some other states around the Gulf
didn't ratify the UNCLOS III, Iran has made multiple bilateral
agreements, with member states of the GCC, to resolve any territorial
claims and rights
(https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/LIS-25.pdf
<https://www.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/LIS-25.pdf>,
https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume%20787/volume-787-I-11197-English.pdf
<https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume%20787/volume-787-I-11197-English.pdf>,
https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/qatar/qatar-iran-to-sign-key-agreements-1.577249
<https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/qatar/qatar-iran-to-sign-key-agreements-1.577249>).
All literature and media about them use either "Persian Gulf" or "Gulf"
or other internationally accepted names when it comes to the formulation
of the agreements. In most cases, the treaties as signed by both
parties, use British Admiralty Nautical Maps to illustrate the exact
boundaries they agreed upon. British Admiralty Nautical Maps use the
name "Persian Gulf" only.

- All admiralty charts that I found use "Persian Gulf" only
(https://www.stanfords.co.uk/admiralty-chart-folio-40-persian-gulf_si00003832
<https://www.stanfords.co.uk/admiralty-chart-folio-40-persian-gulf_si00003832>,
https://www.marinechandlery.com/admiralty-chart-q6111-maritime-security-chart-persian-gulf-and-arabian-sea
<https://www.marinechandlery.com/admiralty-chart-q6111-maritime-security-chart-persian-gulf-and-arabian-sea>)

Opting for the A/B solution is in my opinion trying to force rendering.
We don't tag or map for the renderer.  If there are renderers that
display alt_name or local_name keys it's fine, the data is there.

Opting for "Arabian Gulf" in the name key is also forcing rendering.
Those renderers that display only the name:language fields will be
different in Arabic, which is not desired, neither for minorities or
majorities in the world or local community. Searching for a similar term
on a map in a different language will be confusing.

Opting to leave the name field empty, to ease the situation, even if
just temporary, doesn't have my support. We don't do this for other
disputed or conflict areas either and because of it's open and free
character any user, even unaware of the issue or this discussion might
change it in a blink as we maintain all other keys. This can incite the
same vandalism and discussion again with the local communities, so we
should resolve it.  Don't leave it empty. I also believe that as a
community we can make a consensus instead of acting and avoiding it like
Google (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-18108246
<https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-18108246>), being
disrespectful to any local community, being it Iranian or Arab.
I don't favour the local_name:country option as again these might incite
the same issues.  As f.i. Qatar, having recently signed some bilateral
agreements with Iran, might not want to be listed as such user or
promoter of "Arabian Gulf". This could however work if both terms are
used to reflect the use of both minorities as majorities.

So my proposal for the compromise remains:
name = Persian Gulf
alt_name = Arabian Gulf; Gulf; Gulf of Iran; Gulf of Basra (in any
particular order, all same significant)
name:fa = Persian Gulf (translated and as common official term in Farsi);
alt_name:fa = Arabian Gulf; Gulf; Gulf of Iran; Gulf of Basra
(translated and as common official term in Farsi, any particular order,
all same significant)
name:ar = Persian Gulf (translated and as common official term in Arabic);
alt_name:ar = Arabian Gulf; Gulf; Gulf of Iran; Gulf of Basra
(translated and as common official term in Farsi, any particular order,
all same significant)
Any other name:language fields follow the same principle.

Regards,

Bert Araali