[OSM-talk] Review of name and boundary tagging - revised and amended guidelines to address and resolve disputes

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jul 13 06:11:46 UTC 2021

Jul 12, 2021, 16:17 by bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com:

>  C. if the above fail to reach a consensus, what is the fall back      scenario. Do we define a reference framework, like the UN or      others ?

No.

Definite no to putting "regulations from the UN" above actual situation.

See say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_status_of_Taiwan where UN situation and
officially recognized status clearly conflicts with an actual situation.

Taiwan (Republic of China) is an independent country, it does not control mainland China.

> So, with your understanding of the above, please express your      positive intend to cooperate, engage and willingness to contribute      with:
> (...)
>  4. the initial base frame as described, with UN and possible other      candidates as reference frames for fall back scenarios. A base      frame which will be accepted, adopted or abandoned.

I express lack of willingness to accept that part. OSM is supposed to map actual situation,
not slavishly reproduce whatever was produces as outcome of political process in bodies
such as United Nations.

Note: this does not imply that I accept/agree with other parts of the
 message that I am replying to, but this part was clearly and obviously problematic.