[OSM-talk] Review of name and boundary tagging - revised and amended guidelines to address and resolve disputes

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:47:35 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 9:38 AM Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/07/2021 09:11, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
>
> Jul 12, 2021, 16:17 by bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com:
>
> C. if the above fail to reach a consensus, what is the fall back scenario.
> Do we define a reference framework, like the UN or others ?
>
> No.
>
> Definite no to putting "regulations from the UN" above actual situation.
>
> I agree, it is not what I said as to be proposed. I said resolutions from
> the UN are fall back reference frames when the OSM community fails to reach
> a consensus using our own guidelines framework.

I do not think that this is a workable solution.  There are many cases
where a local community is not in agreement with international
organizations, and this would effectively be choosing a winner based on
fiat rather than doing the more difficult but necessary work of achieving a
compromise that all sides can live with.