[OSM-talk] Review of name and boundary tagging - revised and amended guidelines to address and resolve disputes

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Jul 14 15:30:00 UTC 2021

Jul 14, 2021, 13:40 by bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com:

> On 13/07/2021 16:47, Brian M.      Sperlongano wrote:

>>> I agree, it is not what I said as to be proposed. I said              resolutions from the UN are fall back reference frames              when the OSM community fails to reach a consensus using              our own guidelines framework.
>>>

>> I do not think that this is a workable solution.  There            are many cases where a local community is not in agreement            with international organizations, and this would effectively            be choosing a winner based on fiat rather than doing the            more difficult but necessary work of achieving a compromise            that all sides can live with.
>>
> I agree that it's not desirable. Again, it's a fall back scenario in    case local communities cannot agree and escalate it with editing    wars.

With rule "UN solution will be applied if situation escalates" encourages side that wants to do
matching change encourages them to escalate and never agree.

With

group A: peak is commonly named Foobar

group B: peak is commonly named Barfoo
UN: peak name is Foobar

group A is encouraged to escalate and never agree, as in such case their preference
will be applied anyway.

(replacing UN with any other authority will not change this problem)