[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:40:21 UTC 2021

I recently started using OSMCHA to monitor changesets in my local area.
There have been a number of cases where a changeset from Streetcomplete has
shown up in my feed, not because an edit was actually made in my local
area, but because the changeset spanned a large area (.e.g. half the US).
When I have commented on these changesets and I get a reply, the mapper has
informed me that this is an issue with Streetcomplete and they (the mapper)
cannot do anything about it.

1)  Is this really a characteristic of Streetcomplete, or are people just
misusing it?
2) Is there a work around?
3) What can we do to convince the developers of Streetcomplete to address
this (if this is really an error in Streetcomplete)?
4) Does anyone really believe the mappers using Streetcomplete are
"surveying" the changes as the changesets state?  That would mean that (in
the examples I saw today) they made some edits in one part of the country,
drove for ~13 hours to another location (ok, they could have taken a
flight, but we are still talking many hours if one includes the drive to
the airport, security, the flight, and getting some sort of ground
transportation on the other end), made some more edits, and only then did
Streetcomplete decide to upload their changes (actually making several
changesets but grouping by type of change rather than the time they were
made or the geographic area in which they were made)?

Mike