[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jul 25 16:36:15 UTC 2021

Jul 25, 2021, 15:15 by andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 22:33, Justin Tracey <j3tracey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you have other information to add to OSM,
>>
> [...]
>
>> because you aren't
>> currently looking at the thing in the real world, you should not be
>> using StreetComplete for it. All of the above examples should be added
>> via some other editor
>>

> You make assertions; they are not facts.

StreetComplete explicitly ask to use it for survey and survey only.

"Are you sure you checked this on-site?"
"Only information that was found on a survey should be entered."

is asked when user position mismatches position of solved quests.
It could be made even stronger and completely block surveying
out of range but it would annoy honest mappers with poor GPS.

In multiple places it is described as tool for surveying,
and never described as too for armchair editing.

Please use it for direct survey - and if someone uses it in other way
then all complication are fault of the user.

>> * Mapillary, Wikimedia Commons, and other public streetlevel imagery
>> sources are not survey sources
>>
> [...]
>
>> Again, they definitely should not be used with StreetComplete.
>>

> And again: baseless assertions.

If you missed multiple hints and clear requests in app, then as one of
contributors to the program, I ask you: use it for survey

(or de facto survey, though making paper notes for StreetComplete
is weird and loses nearly all of its usefulness).

Survey can be normal one, or some unusual way of obtaining
accurate and recent info, but please never insert data using SC
based on possibly outdated/wrong source (guessing, aerial,
Mapillary made weeks earlier...).

And if you ignored it - and misused StreetComplete despite clear
requests, then please do not blame it for not supporting
explicitly not supported use case.

StreetComplete is not made, intended, supporting or supposed to
be supporting remote/armchair mapping.

Solving quests based on photos you just made seems unusual but
should be fine - but you need to take care to not produce supersized
bounding boxes (wait for changesets to autoclose or close them
with JOSM/editing API).

>> * Asking a friend or relative is not a survey (at least, not in the
>> geography sense
>>

> And again: there is no source saying that the role of surveying and
> keying in SC cannot be a team effort.

Yeah, this one is quite unusual and would be really ineffective to
exchange necessary but in theory it may happen.