[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Sun Jul 25 13:15:03 UTC 2021

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 22:33, Justin Tracey <j3tracey at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
> > <mailto:andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>> wrote:

> >     There are several other scenarios than the two you list; for example
> >
> >     * User is on a long-distance trip and makes notes on paper, or
> >     mentaly; after returning home they answer quests
> >     * User refer to their own photographs from a recent trip to answer
> >     quests
> >     * User refers to recent images in Mapilary or Wikimedia Commons, or
> >     open-licensed aerial imagery, to answer quests
> >     * User asks a friend or relative to check a remote feature ("Hi Mom,
> >     is the postbox still outside your house?")
> >     * User is away from home, but is answering quests about where they live

>  If you have other information to add to OSM,
[...]
> because you aren't
> currently looking at the thing in the real world, you should not be
> using StreetComplete for it. All of the above examples should be added
> via some other editor

You make assertions; they are not facts.

>   * Notes on paper are, IMO, borderline for citing "survey" as a source,

They are SOP for mapping on OSM.

> and not suitable for StreetComplete. Mental notes are definitely not
> surveys, they're almost the definition of local knowledge.

I'm hard pressed to imagine any survey that does not involve "mental notes".

>   * Your own photographs are fine to use as surveys, but should not be
> used with StreetComplete, since again, you're not there.

Again, this assertion seems to bear no relationship to the real world.

How else do you suppose a person can take a photograph without "being there".

>   * Mapillary, Wikimedia Commons, and other public streetlevel imagery
> sources are not survey sources
[...]
> Again, they definitely should not be used with StreetComplete.

And again: baseless assertions.

>   * Asking a friend or relative is not a survey (at least, not in the
> geography sense

And again: there is no source saying that the role of surveying and
keying in SC cannot be a team effort.

>   * Answering quests about where you live without actually physically
> looking at it is, again, the definition of local knowledge

I did not say anything about making an edit about a place "without
looking at it".

I know what type of roof my house has, and how many floors, and that
there is a pavement outside it, and opposite it, and what surface the
road has, and that it is lit, whether I make the edit saying so while
I am in the house, or elsewhere.

> I'm curious why a StreetComplete user would think these things are okay
> to add with StreetComplete

Because I'm interested in what's best for the map, not enforcing a
petty bureaucracy.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing