[OSM-talk] Mechanical Edit?

Casper Kersten casperkersten1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 19:07:25 UTC 2021

Dear readers of the OSM-Talk mailing list,

First and foremost, my thanks to Mike Thompson for reviewing my changesets
and for only copying and pasting an abridged version of the workflow I
shared, which makes it look sloppy even though I took great care to ensure
good quality. You can find the detailed version at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/108430155 .

The automated edits code of conduct specifically lists correcting obvious
typos as acceptable usage. That’s what I was doing earlier this week, so I
don’t understand the complaints.

You may call my workflow a mechanical edit for all you like, but I just
can't stand the crowd that marks duplicate tags as deprecated, looks at
100k uses on taginfo, ignores that and then blissfully continues to
micromap the local playground. Consider the data users that have to
interpret our data.

I understand that local edits are more highly valued in OSM, but with
tagging issues of this scale, that’s probably the least efficient method to
get it done.

If you think the sizes of my boundary boxes are an issue, then consider the
alternative, which is either ten, a hundred or a thousand tiny and nearly
identical changesets. What would be the feasibility of reviewing all of
those?

These changes just need to be done.

Best regards,

Casper