[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

ndrw6 ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 19:49:29 UTC 2021

On 24/07/2021 22:33, Justin Tracey wrote:

> The entire idea of StreetComplete is that it's an editor intended *only*
> for low-effort survey data via quests.

That's IMHO the biggest drawback of StreetComplete. It wants to be both
a game and a mapping tool and it fails at both. It isn't a game because
is lacks any scoring or ranking mechanisms that could engage players and
make them compete against each other. And it isn't a mapping tool
because everything is wrapped in curated quests focused on gaming
experience and not on adding data mappers are interested in.

Anti-features, like the aforementioned distance limitations, are a part
of this personality split. They would make sense as an anticheat
mechanism in a multiplayer game but in a mapping app they serve no
purpose. A mapping app should encourage people to add data, not actively
discourage them from it.

I tried using the app for mapping address data (mainly house numbers)
and found it very frustrating, despite a very nice user interface and
predefined quests for adding house numbers. It felt as if the app wasn't
actually meant for adding any data at all, just having something to do
on my cellphone whilst walking. Thanks, but not thanks. I already have
Pokemon Go for that.

-ndrw6