[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jul 25 20:15:16 UTC 2021

Jul 25, 2021, 21:49 by ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk:

> On 24/07/2021 22:33, Justin Tracey wrote:
>

>> The entire idea of StreetComplete is that it's an editor intended *only* for low-effort survey data via quests.
>>

> That's IMHO the biggest drawback of StreetComplete. It wants to be both a game and a mapping tool and it fails at both. It isn't a game because is lacks any scoring or ranking mechanisms that could engage players and make them compete against each other. And it isn't a mapping tool because everything is wrapped in curated quests focused on gaming experience and not on adding data mappers are interested in.

If someone wants full-scale OSM editor with full access to all data on Android then
I recommend Vespucci.

Format of quests asking questions with app completely handling tagging is not suitable
for all, and is not expected to be used/liked by everyone. After all it is quite unusual and limiting,
even if it requires no OSM-specific knowledge and may be better at spotting what is missing.

Quests curation is mostly limited by requirement that user is not expected
to have any OSM knowledge - see
https://github.com/streetcomplete/StreetComplete/wiki/Adding-new-Quests-to-StreetComplete
for list of requirements.

> Anti-features, like the aforementioned distance limitations, are a part of this personality split. They would make sense as an anticheat mechanism in a multiplayer game but in a mapping app they serve no purpose. A mapping app should encourage people to add data, not actively discourage them from it.

It discourages adding not surveyed data (that would be typically guessed).

> I tried using the app for mapping address data (mainly house numbers) and found it very frustrating, despite a very nice user interface and predefined quests for adding house numbers. It felt as if the app wasn't actually meant for adding any data at all, just having something to do on my cellphone whilst walking. Thanks, but not thanks. I already have Pokemon Go for that.

I admit that I am quite curious what went wrong!
Should "despite a very nice user interface" be understood as "interface was pretty but
not suitable for efficient surveying"?

Or "interface was pretty and efficient but app was evoking some irritating feeling"?

If you used it before addr:street was asked or when addr:street quest appeared weeks after
add:housenumber was solved - then this issues are nowadays fixed :)