[OSM-talk] Streetcomplete and Geographically Large Changesets

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Jul 26 07:45:58 UTC 2021

Note: following can be of interest if someone is interested in some features in SC.

Obviously not everyone is obligated to use or like or even try all editors :)

tl;dr part that is likely the most useful:

For any quest you can create OSM note with a photo via "can't say" option
if it is not answerable in app (please attach photos with context, that
often allows to fix note remotely with armchair editin).

You can also long press on any map location to create note (note also can have photo attached).

Jul 26, 2021, 00:21 by ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk:

>> I admit that I am quite curious what went wrong!
>>

> I tried it once and there were quite a few rather obvious issues I've noticed:
> - I wanted to add a house number but the tool wouldn't display the quest because the building was only tagged as building=yes or was out of range.

For building=yes it would ask first about building type (because otherwise it would
prompt user for addresses of sheds and garages).

> - The building was not yet split into parts and needed two or more address points.
> - The building was not yet mapped but I wanted to add an address point anyway.
> - The building was already tagged with a wrong address that I wanted to correct.
> - There was no way of adding comments (private or public) for more complex cases.

For any quest you can create note with a photo via "can't say" option.
You can also long press on any map location to create note (note also can have photo attached).

> I took a printed out map with me as a back up and it only took 5 minutes before I have fully reverted to it. In that session StreetComplete wouldn't have let me add three quarters of the addresses, wasting my time and effort.

Yeah, StreetComplete address quest is useful primarily for
- cases where just few addresses are missing
- for people unable or unwilling to learn about OSM tagging

For places with most addresses missing / without mapped buildings / building
geometries not matching addressable entities an experienced mapper may be
faster with a paper notes.

> I doubt no one has ever noticed these issues. More likely they were swept under the carpet as not compatible with the game-like vision for the tool.

It is rather case of "this is a complex feature that will not implement itself,
especially if it would be implemented well".

Edits for the given quest are grouped. See https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/108537422

>> Should "despite a very nice user interface" be understood as "interface was pretty but not suitable for efficient surveying"?
>>

> No, the interface was genuinely good. In a tool like an OSM editor I mainly care about performance and ergonomics and they were both much better than anything else I tried on a mobile phone. I don't care about aesthetics but I understand it is important for good first impression.
>
>> If you used it before addr:street was asked or when addr:street quest appeared weeks after
>> add:housenumber was solved - then this issues are nowadays fixed :)
>>

> That was indeed one of the issues I've noticed. I am glad it has been resolved.

:)