[OSM-talk] Mechanical Edit?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 04:20:32 UTC 2021

2021-07-27, an, 04:33 Casper Kersten rašė:
>> If you think that a simple search-and-replace is a good idea – then leave your hands off it and
>> let someone fix it who has the time and energy to do it properly.
>
> DWG member or not, what counts as “proper fixing” is not for you, but for the community
> to determine.

  1. There is no way to determine what community thinks (talk list
does NOT represent whole community, wiki is even further - it
represents opinion of a few).
  2. I totally agree with Frederik that all semi-automated
"improvements" without proper one-by-one analysis are bad. Changing
without understanding the context will be reducing the quality of the
data. I've seen tons of new people thinking that they would run
several automated "updates" and will "fix" the data - none were
successful, most were damaging and their changes had to be reverted.
Students with no education can run updates - it is extremely easy to
do, if (and where) that would have been the way - it would have
already been done by more experienced people.

--
Tomas