[OSM-talk] Field surveying app - alert near marker/waypoint

Seth Deegan jayandseth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:29:26 UTC 2021

I don’t know of any but we were brainstorming about this in the OSM World
Discord Server a few months ago.

It would not only help to get notifications about survey locations you
mark, but also notes or features by your current location that indicate a
“survey” in their description or in a fixme!

Integrating AR with the camera to show exactly what needs to be surveyed
would be a step further!

Just some ideas.

Lectrician1,

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 15:07 Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I find it a challenge to field verify the existence of map features when
> bicycling or driving as one should be paying attention to the road/trail
> rather than their phone or tablet.  Is there any OSM based app where one
> can mark locations to be verified ahead of time, and then as one is
> travelling receive an audible alert when one is within some distance (e.g.
> ~15 m) of the location?   I tried OSMAND, but it states that the feature
> only works while "navigating" (and I don't really want or need my phone
> shouting out directions while I am mountain biking), and in any event, even
> while "navigating" I couldn't get it to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Thanks,
Seth