[OSM-talk] Combining OSM data and my own data (CC-BY 4.0 license)

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Jun 11 09:10:41 UTC 2021

Essentially the OSM derived parts need to remain ODbL licensed,
depending on the granularity of the "enriching" this might or might not
effect the whole or just the OSM derived part of your database.

The later would not cause issues with most licenses, as they typically
support a "collection" concept which allows separate licensing of the
constituent parts (as the ODbL does), but CC BY 4.0 is viral^2 for
databases and contains clauses that are substantially stricter than
anything in the ODbL, so if you are publishing in the EU the answer is
likely that it wont work.

See
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Community_Guidelines/Collective_Database_Guideline_Guideline
and the other guidelines for more information.

Simon