[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:28:09 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 18. Juni 2021 um 11:19 Uhr schrieb Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de
>:

> On Friday 18 June 2021, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> >
> > Not sure we "need" the language code. As you wrote, the names would
> > be prescripted in those countries for any language, and many
> > countries only have one official language, for all those cases it
> > seems save to assume that the official name is in the official
> > language, i.e.
> > official_name:SA=...
>
> Well - that assumes that (a) all countries only have one official
> language and (b) that national naming conventions/rules propagate to
> other languages in a well defined fashion that does not require
> individual case representation in the data.  Neither of these is the
> case practically.

it does not assume that all countries (or parts of countries, by the way)
have only one official language, it assumes that if no additional language
is given the value is in the official language of the country or area that
is tagged. If there are more than one official language it is clear that
the language component cannot be omitted.

On the other hand, for languages that are different from the official
language (b), it will be hard to determine which term is the officially
allowed or prescripted version in the country, at least as long as it has
not been judged in court or otherwise officially determined. How would it
be verifiable?

> What i am not sure is if "official_name" is the right choice of key.
> While the cases we have in mind here (Like Persian Gulf and Sea of
> Japan) we have official naming conventions in the countries in question
> (and ones ubiquitous enough to qualify as verifiable in OSM fwiw) there
> are certainly also cases where there are diverging national cultural
> conventions without an officially defined rule behind that are still
> verifiable.  Hence it might make more sense to extend the existing
> name:<language> tag to allow an optional suffix of the form
> name:<language>:<country> (or maybe better use
> name:<language>@<country> - since then both suffixes can be optional
> without ambiguity).

I believe "official name" is a very good tag when there is an official
naming convention, other cases should get different tagging.

Cheers,
Martin