[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Li Yaqo iata.idp.iq at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 01:43:44 UTC 2021

Dear Ebrahim,

> We have and will not encourage any act of vandalism in our community. I
personally confronted and condemned the vandalist
-Yes as I said "Except for only one member his name was in yellow" that was
you. Only you were not liking his vandalized edits. Everyone else was
liking it and charging up for it. One of the vandal users stated he's doing
the vandalism and you, the admins didn't kick him out of the community or
asked him to stop. I can understand why you don't want to revert the vandal
user edits on the gulf since y'all share the same intent, but why didn't
y'all revert his edits on Saudi Arabia for example? All the vandal edits
were reverted as I saw by the mods and Arabs not Iranians.

> Not it was not. It was one person making multiple accounts
-Yes, it was. It was sabotaged by almost 30 accounts but definitely not
only one person! There were like 5 accounts that had hundreds of edits and
joined more than 5 years ago! Also, there was an account that removed the
word "Arab" from the Arabian sea (not the gulf) a few months ago, this user
has thousands of edits.

> As you can see here [2] we do not enforce anything to `name` tag. All
names in different languages are mentioned and splited by a slash.
-For the Caspian Sea, as far as I remember it was only the Iranian name
"دریای خزر" (Khazir Sea) until a few months ago when international users
complained about this, not the Iranian users, and it got changed to the one
that's used today. We always like to assume in good faith but we never saw
the Iranian users complain about anything other than things that "belong to
them" or things that they believe affect their "national security".

> I think it would be best to compile our minds instead of sarcastic
comments.
-This is not sarcastic! not at all! Since you're very interested in the
accuracy of the names, I believe you should use the official name of your
country on the map. You can't just use names you like and do not use names
you don't like. Since you want the official Iranian name for the gulf you
can start by fixing and putting the official Iranian name for your country,
then you can start discussing the smaller and less important things like
this.

In the end, as I said, I suggest keeping it as is since OSM uses on-ground
names (On ground rule) see  [1]  "consider the "on the ground rule": map
the world as it can be observed by someone physically there.", and this is
the official name that is used in the 6 countries that surround the gulf.
And also used by the US Navy IN the gulf itself.

Sincerely,
Li Yaqo

[1]  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/How_We_Map