[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Ebrahim Nejati enejati at mail.um.ac.ir
Sat Jun 19 00:43:08 UTC 2021

Hello Li Yaqo,

> The name "خليج فارس" is used in name:fa, don't force it to the main name
> tag. as the moderators said, "the name tag should be left in peace". And we
> agree on this.
As I said I'm not here to argue what is the correct name for the bay
area. I'm sure if we do, still there will be people on both sides who
disagree nevertheless

> We saw in your Iranian telegram group the user who started the vandalism
> (user: @benyamindolatpoor) and few others, we saw every message in the
> group that encouraged the vandalism, we read the messages when every single
> member was cursing the name "Arab" and say bad racist things towards Arabs.
We have and will not encourage any act of vandalism in our community. I
personally confronted and condemned the vandalist [1]. Also our active
mods do not tolerate racism. There are crazy and ill-advised people
everywhere but we don't stand by it.

> The gulf was sabotaged by almost 30 Iranian users
Not it was not. It was one person making multiple accounts

> There is a similar situation I can think of, which is Caspian Sea. This sea
> In Iran is called "دریای خزر" and this is  the one used in osm name tag,
> While this name is only used in Iran, the whole world knows it by Caspian
> Sea name.
As you can see here [2] we do not enforce anything to `name` tag. All names
in different languages are mentioned and splited by a slash.

> I suggest you care more about the name of your country Iran and correct it,
> since the official name of your country is "جمهوری اسلامی ایران" not just
> "ايران" fix this if you care about names.
I think it would be best to compile our minds instead of sarcastic
comments.

Thank you for your reply brother. I'll be happy to see your comments on
how we can settle this.

[1] https://t.me/OpenStreetMap/27541
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=6/41.327/51.086