[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Abdullah Abdulrhman abdullahOSM at outlook.com
Sun Jun 20 13:27:37 UTC 2021

First: if there are disputes over the name, the rule in OSM is "On the Ground Rule" as found on the wiki page:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule

And the official and recognized name in all the countries surrounding the Gulf, except for Iran, is the الخليج العربي - Arabian Gulf, and this is found on the official pages of the countries surrounding the Gulf see:

name on the official maps in Saudi Arabia and from an official government website:
https://www.gcs.gov.sa/en/productsandservices/products/publicmaps/pages/official-map-of-the-kingdom-of-saudi-arabia.aspx

and official maps in UAE from an official government website:
https://u.ae/-/media/4BDAEA7E82FB4B8AAAE9D70A2E4D88A1.ashx?db=master&la=en&vs=1&ts=20171018T1537576451

and official maps in IRAQ from an official government websites:
https://somooil.gov.iq/news/49
https://evisa.gov.iq
https://www.somooil.gov.iq/exports
https://investpromo.gov.iq/why-iraq/
http://www.mofa.gov.iq/2020/07/?p=15724
https://jprs.gov.iq/index.php/jprs/article/view/50
https://ina.iq/eng/7760--.html
https://gds.gov.iq/the-gulf-committee-commences-its-duties-in-basra/

and official maps in Oman from an official government website:
https://www.nsaom.org.om/lndex.php?inc=downloads/maps
https://www.nsaom.org.om/arabic/downloads/jpg/Satellite.jpg

and official maps in from Kuwait an official government website:
https://www.moo.gov.kw/about_kuwait.aspx

and official name in Bahrain from an official government website::
https://www.bahrain.bh/wps/portal/aboutBahrain_en

and official name in Qatar from an official government website:
https://portal.www.gov.qa/wps/portal/about-qatar/aboutqatar

and see the name from Official website of Gulf Cooperation Council:
https://www.gcc-sg.org/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

Second: The sabotage that occurred was very large, and some of it was not recovered until weeks later, and this caused many effects, as the navigation programs associated with OSM, such as OsmAnd and others, were disrupted, and the incitement to this sabotage strongly encouraged OSM Iranian telegram group , and here are examples of some sabotage operations that were not You only get back after 18 days!!:

Therefore, sabotaging the map and taking revenge in order to impose a certain name is disgraceful and unacceptable.

the value on name: and name:ar it must be:
الخليج العربي
Which means the Arabian Gulf as of "On the Ground Rule" If you want to use the international name then use int_name tag, and If you want to use the historical name you can use old_name.

Abdullah Abdulrhman
Saudi Arabia