[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

R. A. McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Jun 18 14:01:50 UTC 2021

It might be interesting to look at another example and how that's handled in OSM.

Specifically the city in the north west of the island of Ireland. ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/267762522 ). It's got `name:ga=Doire` (for the Irish language name). We have settled on storing it as `name=Londonderry/Derry` as the commonly used compromise name (and likewise for `name:en`). But we added `name:en_IE=Derry` and `name:en_GB=Londonderry` because that's what it's called in Hiberno-English (spoken in Ireland), and British English.

Language tags (like `en`) have the way to specify dialects like this. It's not quite the same as "This language as spoken in this place", but "this _dialect_ of the language which is from this geographic area" is similar.

There is also a standard for languages & places ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IETF_language_tag#Extension_U_(Unicode_Locale) ), e.g. `gsw-u-sd-chzh` is apparently “Swiss German as used in the Canton of Zürich.”. That could be another source for tagging format.