[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Ebrahim Nejati enejati at mail.um.ac.ir
Sun Jun 20 15:33:56 UTC 2021

Hello Abdullah,
Thank you for your comment.

Though I think having one `name` tag doesn't cover the super complex
situation "on the ground", I like to ask some question about this
approach.

> First: if there are disputes over the name, the rule in OSM is
> "On the Ground Rule" as found on the wiki page:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Disputes#On_the_Ground_Rule

Here is a quote from your provided link: "simple default rule is
whatever name are used by the people on the ground at that location are
used." so here are my questions:

1. Considering the population of each country on the gulf area, what
percentage of people living there would identify it as "Persian Gulf",
"Arabian Gulf" or just "The Gulf"?

2. What percentage do you think is enough for a name to be _mentioned_
in the `name` tagging?

> the incitement to this sabotage strongly encouraged OSM Iranian
> telegram group

As I mentioned earlier, we never have or will encourage or approve of
vandalism in other countries in our community. Please provide proofs
alongside your accusations.

I'll be glad to hear your answers.