[OSM-talk] Persian/Arabian Gulf Tagging

Mostafa Ahangarha ahangarha at riseup.net
Tue Jun 29 20:00:46 UTC 2021

On 6/30/21 12:05 AM, Abdullah Abdulrhman wrote:
> The English language is considered a secondary and semi-official
> language in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the rest
> of the Arab Gulf countries, and it is important that the name is not in
> it according to the Persian point of view only.

Persian Gulf is not something appeared in recent years. It was called so
for centuries not just by Persians but also by all. So calling it
Persian Gulf is not something related to Persian point of view. The only
change is the point of view that you advocate.

Let's not open politics here in this issue. Let`s handle this issue with
great possibilities and Flexibility offered by OSM.

I think we discussed the challenges related to language and came to some
kind of understanding to consider county+language both for tagging.

--
Regards,
Mostafa Ahangarha