[OSM-talk] Recent spikes in the use of road key

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 3 18:27:02 UTC 2021

We see a spike yes in objects references with road=*.   But we need to know what type of object they are describing. This tag can be the main tag that wants to refer to roads, or this can be a secondary tag used with a tag like historical=yes, memorial=*, etc.
Look for example at https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2209159511For the Taginfo chronology, the map shows the distribution and we see a lot of objects with road=* in Germany.  Suspecting more of these,

Below a short analysis with  Overpass queries to compare usage for nodes and ways comparing part of Europe with part of Africa.  In Germany, we observe that the tag  "historic": "milestone" is often used on nodes with road=Road name. In Africa, we find more ways that probably refer to highways.

West Europe, 187 nodes https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vb                        79 ways  https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vc
Africa,               4 nodes https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14vf                      338 ways  https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/14ve
As you see, we need deeper analysis to find where this spike comes from.

regard
Pierre