[OSM-talk] Fwd: Fix maritime borders of Ceuta and Melilla (Spain)

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 16:08:40 UTC 2021

Hello Andy, all

Is it OK with you I move on with this ?

On OSM Africa we recently had a request for a reliable source to map
boundaries of Natural Parks.
It was considered as a good source, since their data is also used by the
UN for their public maps, for marine but also national boundaries and
national parks are included. We are asking the UN Mappers for feedback
on experience with the data.

I did some random checks on differences and accuracy regarding EEZ. In
general there were some offsets limited to 1 mile on average with up to
like 2 to 3 miles max occasionally. OSM EEZ mostly had less nodes so was
less accurate. Also compared with public available data from the EU and
NOAA and those seem mostly identical, but less nodes, so
marineregions.org more favourable.

I want to ask them for the waiver, and then use the data for a manual
edit for Ceuta / Melilla. For the African Natural Parks we can make a
proposal then for Organised or Automated edit, based on that experience.

Greetings,

Bert Araali