[OSM-talk] [Mecanical Edit] change (depreciated) amenity=embassy into (approved) office=diplomatic + diplomatic=embassy

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Wed Mar 10 21:29:55 UTC 2021

On 10.03.2021 09:39, Marc_marc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 09.03.21 à 23:57, Stephan Knauss a écrit :
>> On 09.03.2021 13:54, Marc_marc wrote:
>>> I propose this mecanical edition to convert the remaining objects.
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1392112775
>> amenity     embassy
>> consulate     honorary_consul
>> diplomatic     consulate
>> office     diplomatic
>
> Thank you for your feedback
>
> in this case, the operation is limited to erasing the old tag,
> without overwriting the value that another contributor has already
> entered for diplomatic=*.
>
> Consequently my proposal is badly formulated, here is a more precise
> version:
> for objects already having an office=* and/or diplomatic=* tag: delete
> the old amenity=embassy tag without overwriting the current values.
> for the others, change amenity=embassy into office=diplomatic +
> diplomatic=embassy
>
> Does this address your concern?

this partly adresses my concerns. I still have the impression that it
would be beneficial to not use a mechanical edit, but to review the
entries one-by-one.

This would allow to address other tagging issues as well. For example, I
noticed that the US consulate is tagged as relation and a building
inside this relation has the same tags.

Which element should have the tag in this case? The relation for the
complex, or one of the building which is probably the one where
customers are going to?

Another example of a consulate I added 7 years ago when there was no
alternative tagging:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2638516615
Tags
amenity 	embassy
country 	BD
name 	สถานกงสุลกิตติมศักดิ์ บังคลาเทศ
name:en 	Consulate-General Bangladesh
name:th 	สถานกงสุลกิตติมศักดิ์ บังคลาเทศ

I revisited and by looking at the name tag I was quite confident to
enhance the tagging to include a consulate_general. A mechanical edit
might have missed this.

With only a small number of objects affected, it should be easy for the
local community to manually fix it.

I will do so for the place I usually map. Should be cleaned up by tomorrow.

Stephan