[OSM-talk] what is this ?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Mar 12 20:47:51 UTC 2021

On Mar 12, 2021, at 12:13 PM, 80hnhtv4agou--- via talk <talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> this is 1 out of 3 people that control all forums and writes all wikies,
> he has told me not to ask him questions privately, but he controlling OSM by what he does.

What a ridiculous thing to say:  there are NOT "3 people that control all forums and writes (sic) all wikies (sic)."  I sincerely doubt any one person or small handful of people "control" the whole of OSM.  OSM is thousands, millions of us contributing our best skills and contributions, that is our greatest strength.  Another strength is we recognize when people castigate us with flawed reasoning or outright lies.  Especially when they are as bold as what John (80hnhtv4agou) wrongly asserts here.  And because such atrocious behavior deserves being called out, I do so here.

Again, while nobody "controls" OSM, if you want to positively INFLUENCE (not "control") this project — and I encourage all and sundry to continue the wonderful job of that we both strive to do and actually achieve — simply continue offering OSM your best (data, knowledge, suggestions, contributions, coding, wiki-writing, forum participation, talk-list posts...).  John, are you listening?

Rock-throwing, berating, criticizing (unless genuinely constructive) is not only noticed, as it is usually obvious, it is highly discouraged, and can result in the sort of one-year block that John has already experienced.  Bad actors in OSM are eventually removed from the project — and rightly so.