[OSM-talk] Informal car parking along streets (country/mountain areas)

Alessandro Sarretta alessandro.sarretta at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 06:50:52 UTC 2021

Dear all,

I've found some parking areas (like this one
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/8503092725, here in Mapillary
https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/GVS1ivHYCWh7feAnZqjFeA) that have been
added in OSM. They are actually simple widenings of the road (without
any sign) where people usually park to get to some nearby path (in
mountainous areas in this case).
I wonder if there is a tag to indicate whether a car park is formally
such (with horizontal and/or vertical signage) or if it has an
"informal" meaning, like the examples given.
I see that something similar is used (but not documented) for bikes:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/bicycle_parking=informal
Do you have any suggestions/experience on whether to include these areas
as parking spaces, or how to possibly tag them?

Thanks,

Ale