[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 15 14:33:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 15.03.21 14:58, Sören Reinecke via talk wrote:
> I have objections on the part that OSM does not have a banned feature.

[...]

> So that entry ends up in the database for nothing and no other mapper
> will understand what the key is all about.

It is possible to add information to OpenStreetMap that others do not
understand about. This is not desirable in the long run - after a while
you will either want everyone to use your schema or you'll use someone
else's - but if some obscure town in some obscure country decides to
paint some of their streets in pink and then people in that place decide
to add surface_color=pink without discussing that with anyone, that's
totally fine.

> "Often expressed opinion is that in case of two tags with exactly the
> same meaning deprecating one and retagging objects is waste of time and
> energy and disturbs mapping for no benefit."

Yup. Because you cannot prohibit new entries being made with the old
key, so any software that wants to use OSM data has to know both anyway.

> - This opinion wrong

Opinions can't really be "wrong". You can dislike them but that doesn't
make it "wrong".

> and probably come from those not understanding
> databases

Please stop being condescending. If you think that a little theoretical
database knowledge makes you an expert on OpenStreetMap, think again.

> An example: Key:contact:phone and Key:phone where I
> had discussions with people not understanding databases and ignoring my
> expertise. I study these things btw.

I am starting to get an idea of why people might not be listening to
your expertise.

Bye
Frederik