[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Sören Reinecke tilmanreinecke at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 15 15:19:22 UTC 2021

 > It is possible to add information to OpenStreetMap that others do not
understand about. This is not desirable in the long run - after a while
you will either want everyone to use your schema or you'll use someone
else's - but if some obscure town in some obscure country decides to
paint some of their streets in pink and then people in that place decide
to add surface_color=pink without discussing that with anyone, that's
totally fine.

You bring up another topic I also wanted to discuss later: Documenting
keys/tags. If you properly document your innovations, then someone else
will understand the data you added and can use it. Without proper
documentation it is not possible without asking you to directly. And we
know most mappers do not answer then writing via OSM's messaging system
(from my experience).
Also I refer to allowed use of deprecated tags. You speak about new tags
someone invented. That's of course another topic.

 > Yup. Because you cannot prohibit new entries being made with the old
key, so any software that wants to use OSM data has to know both anyway.

But that is my proposal. And technically it is possible and the OSM API
and the editors can do that. And it is a wrong assumption that software
using OSM data has to know both anyway because normally in a database
two schemes meaning the same wouldn't exist. Developers only need to
support both schemes because we don't manage to keep our database clean
either by automatic/manual means.