[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 15 18:24:59 UTC 2021

> "> Often expressed opinion is that in such case of tags with the same meaning one should be quickly deprecated> "
> - The word "quickly" shouldn't be used here. Also deprecation of a duplicate tag should be done with care. Quick might be your wrong partner there. So people saying that, please reconsider your way of thinking.

Removed word "quickly" there.

And for your disagreement with other opinions listed there - note that other people
in turn actually disagree with your ideas.

And both sides actually have good points. That were discussed to death.

Similarly in

> A "banned feature" would be useful here (in case of the phone thing) since two keys in use at the same time meaning exactly the same. We then could ban the use of Key:phone or Key:contact:phone and doing a duty to our database.

you selected probably an ideal tag to demonstrate why proposing
obviously good idea to deprecate XYZ is often backfiring.

See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:phone#Alternative_tags

"Idea of deprecating either tags without contact: prefix or ones with contact prefix is
repeatedly suggested, often triggering huge discussion and ending with conclusion
that there is no consensus. Please, read past discussion before starting a new one.

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2020-May/thread.html#52379
May 2020 thread, over 50 messages

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2019-December/thread.html#49474
December 2019 thread