[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Florimond Berthoux florimond.berthoux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:11:53 UTC 2021

Hi,

I understand your point of view as developer, but OSM is a free database
where everyone has the right to add its geographical information.
This helps innovation, everyone can update the database the way it needs
without to lose energy in discussion with an international board.

Nobody is in charge of tag definitions.

The people in tagging list or even more on the wiki are pushing too much
their point of view on the "good" way to tag. And this deprecated banner is
a very good example.
Who's in charge of tag definition ? The "community" which means everyone
and no one, there is no board, no elected members, no expert for this
subject.
Too many times I read that a tag is deprecated/recommended, but by who ?
Well, by few people on a mailing, on a talk wiki page, on a bug tracker.
This result of fight on wiki which is very very very boring, and the winner
is just the one who has more time to lose.

The wiki should be only about usage, not about the "good" way to tag.
So instead of saying « this tag is deprecated » we should say « some people
consider this tag as deprecated ».

Regards.

--
Florimond Berthoux