[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:24:17 UTC 2021

Am Mo., 15. März 2021 um 20:32 Uhr schrieb Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com>:

> Le 15.03.21 à 18:29, Martin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> > Almost every mapper I am writing to has answered my messages
>
> I don't know if there is a tool that allows to make the statistic
> in a precise way, but after having sent a cordial welcome message
> to all the newcomers in France for one year, my feeling is that
> the return rate is about 10% to which we have to add some contributor
> who reacted to my message (small tag correction) without answering.

sure, new mappers will often not write back. I have done this for some
years also for my local area, but it's now many years that I must admit to
do it only very rarly. The context was mappers who invented a new tag but
did not bother to document it.

> Surprisingly there is almost a better (but still low) rate when
> I write on old changeset to understand exotic tags.
>
> Therefore, a bot that would ask for an explanation of a new tag
> the same day it appeared would probably have a low response rate.
> "Any tag you like" should be complemented by a simple and integrated
> invitation to editors to document new tags on the fly.
> without that, it's often "Any tag you like and no one else will
> use/understand"

because of using English, people expect there to be an inherent meaning in
tags coming from their names. Frequently the basic direction of a tag is
quite clear by its names.
Yes, sometimes there are ambiguities or parallel systems  under (multiple
meanings for) the same key, but often it is also very logical and
straightforward.
Yes, it is good to write documentation, but it doesn't mean that the
absence of a wiki definition implies that a tag cannot be interpreted.

Cheers,
Martin