[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Sören Reinecke tilmanreinecke at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 16 15:41:03 UTC 2021

 > then they are in breach of our license, because everybody interacting
with a work based on OpenStreetMap data must be made aware that the data
is from openstreetmap and available under the odbl.

It is not about proper attribution, it is the fact that most people
(Mainstream) do not care. But that is getting off topic.

_Let me give you a roadmap:_

Facebook brought WhatsApp and will now combine WhatsApp user data with
Facebook user data. Reaction from Mainstream: I don't care, not even
about my own property.

Google & other Smartphone OS vendors disallow the removal of so-called
"system apps". Reaction from Mainstream: I don't care because I like
dictatorship
And since my E-Mail app is a system app and gets no updates anymore
(modern e-mail providers begin to change their login systems), I have
just another unusable app on my phone costing me space.

Apple traps you in there ******** universe of no standardization and bad
practice. Reaction from Mainstream: I don't care, please let me be hostage.

Amazon does not pay taxes. Reaction from Mainstream: I don't care, I
will support them anyway no matter what they do.

Lieferando runs shadow websites. That's literally speaking faking real
existing websites. That's legal and also supported by issuers of SSL
certificates. Reaction from Mainstream: I don't care, I let them trick me.

.
.
.

So why should the Mainstream be interested in the source of the data
they use. Most don't even care about their own data :(
Only a small portion of open-minded people mainly organized in
Communities will care and notice the great work we have done. Most
people will "just don't care" and raising awareness won't get the
desired effect (yet).

That is sad but the Mainstream is like that. Humanity is weak