[OSM-talk] You are still free to continue to use or interpret this tag as you see fit since OpenStreetMap does not have “banned features”

Zeke Farwell ezekielf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:15:37 UTC 2021

Sören, I agree with all the points you've raised.  It's important to be
able to deprecate an old tagging scheme when a replacement is proposed and
accepted.  "Banned" is too strong a word, but I would be happy with a clear
statement of "no longer recommended" without the additional qualifications
of "you can still use it", "there are no banned features", etc.

The difficulty is that it's not clear who gets to decide (everyone and no
one?) if a feature should be deprecated, so vague language is used to
account for the fact that opinions vary.  This is confusing for new and old
mappers alike who just want to know how to tag a feature properly.  I wish
there was a tagging working group tasked with making decisions about
deprecations which schemes are recommended, etc.  I'm sure many will
disagree, but don't think such a thing would be in conflict with the
fundamental nature of open, flexible tagging in OSM.