[OSM-talk] Racist, insulting and abusive comments on OSM related channels

joost schouppe joost.schouppe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:25:06 UTC 2021

Frederik, Marc,

This is already partly possible. There is an "order" attribute in the
resources, where higher numbers are more important. It's good practice to
discuss the numbering within the local community. I agree it would be an
improvement to mark channels as "main", "also used" and "hardly used at
all". Though even with the current logic, a data user like iD could choose
to only show the "top 3 channels" for the region you are in.

A tip for people wanting to see if their favorite medium is available for
the region of their interest: in the OSM community index visualization at
https://community.osm.be/ (made by Jonathan Beliën) you can easily filter
by medium.
(that site, btw, also offers pages like this
https://community.osm.be/resources/europe/belgium which we re-use at OSM.be
to not have to manage channels in more places than necessary).

Op di 16 mrt. 2021 om 00:26 schreef Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On 3/15/21 23:11, Marc_marc wrote:
> >> "OSM Community Index", I do think we should list all channels there,
> >> including and undiscriminating non open sources as there are many.
>
> > but this has the effect of drowning the user.
>
> I agree. We should make an effort to promote the channels where someone
> is most likely to reach a significant part of the community.
>
> If people want to search from the other end - not "which channel(s) does
> the community in this region mainly use" but "is there an OpenStreetMap
> group on my preferred messenger", then they can perform that search in
> their preferred messenger. We should not give them the impression that
> just because two guys started a LinkedIn Group for OSM in San Marino
> that was now a good way to get in touch with the local community ;)
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --

Joost Schouppe