[OSM-talk] Racist, insulting and abusive comments on OSM related channels

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Mar 20 11:37:24 UTC 2021

Mar 17, 2021, 02:37 by steveaOSM at softworkers.com:

> I thank Bert for his diligence and sustained effort.  Again, this takes courage, we also see this takes dedication, aplomb and sincerity.  Excellent!

Is it expressing a general support toward reducing racism?

Or is it reflecting support for claims made by Bert - made after checking situation?

Of is it support for claims made by Bert - without checking whatever they reflected
reality?

Because claims of supposed racist comments,
"vote lobbying for and against proposals because they are made by "another" countries
community member" and supposedly existing extreme content - "nearing to hate speech",
"I leave out the most extreme examples as it helps no one to be repeated",
"aiming at certain countries and communities and religions"
turned out to be not matching reality and untrue.

> We should also applaud when that is seen to possibly threaten the positive environment we wish to foster in our online presences and so somebody steps up and addresses it as directly as Bert does here.  Kudos, sir.

For me main effect is that I will be in future even more skeptical of claims of
racism and similar where I am unable to verify claims.

(and I know that in some such cases it is impossible to provide any kind of proof,
but I am getting more worried how many claims that I assumed to be true were also
so misleading in the same way)