[OSM-talk] Copyright page vs Contributors page

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:02:36 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 at 22:58, Tom Hughes via talk <talk at openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> On 28/03/2021 11:33, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
>
> > That feels significantly imbalanced to me, and why are those 11
> > countries named so prominently?
>
> Because they are countries where we have used data under a license
> that requires attribution.
>
> > My suggestion would be, on the copyright page:
> >
> > - remove those 11 country-specific bullets
> > - check that the entries are included on the contributors page of course
>
> That doesn't work because there's nothing to stop people removing
> an entry from the wiki - putting them on the copyright page ensures
> that they can't be removed without appropriate legal review.

Many of the entries on the wiki page, we are legally obligated to provide
the attribution there.

I think it's more some earlier contributions agreed upon attribution on the
Copyright page, but later on other contributions agreed upon attribution on
the Contributors (wiki) page.

To remove those from the copyright page, you'd need to review the license
and any specifics about attribution to make sure we can move the
attribution to the Contributors (wiki) page.