[OSM-talk] Copyright page vs Contributors page

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Mar 28 20:44:57 UTC 2021

This is a very old issue literally for ages.

The OSMF has a number of agreements that specifically refer to the
copyright page on the website so removing those entries is a
non-starter. The IMHO proper way to resolve this is to actually track
third party sources and generate the contents of the copyright page from
a DB table, automatically collapsing / expanding entries depending on
the geographic context and doing away with the wiki page.

See for example
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2017/Project_Ideas#Third_Party_Source_Management_System
and the multiple times this has been discussed over the last decade +.

Simon