[OSM-talk] Too much detail, or: mapping every single tree in a park

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Mon May 3 18:36:29 UTC 2021

Skyler --

Your response in and of itself already reflects a great attitude if you
ask me :)

On topic; if you're a JOSM user, I recommend making use of the powerful
filtering capabilities. I am typing this message on a 10 year old Lenovo
X220 and it struggles sometimes with displaying lots of map data. I
usually filter out building footprints and that takes care of most
issues I have. Buildings are especially good to filter out because they
rarely interact with other map data. If you come across an area with
lots of trees, and you're not looking to map trees at that moment, you
could use a filter for them. It does double duty making JOSM faster and
reducing distractions!

Martijn