[OSM-talk] Call for Translators - SotM 2021 Online

Federica Gaspari federica.gaspari at live.it
Wed May 19 16:43:41 UTC 2021

Dear all,

State of the Map 2021 will take place online from 9 to 11 July 2021, with one main track with classic talks for three days. Around that classic program there will be workshops, panels, breakout sessions and more.

All talks will be held in English as English is the conference language. But this year we want to try something new: we want to provide live translation to other languages! And so we will be experimenting with Mumble as a live translation platform and see if we can find enough volunteers to do these translations.

For this reason, the SotM working group is looking for passionate translation volunteers!
The technical background of this idea is that we will use a Mumble server with channels for each language. The translator is the only person who can speak in that channel. All visitors of the channel are muted, but they can listen to the live translator. Attendees watching a talk will be shown a list of available languages and will have to access the Mumble server, if they wish to listen to other languages while watching.

About volunteering to be a translator

Before the day of the conference, translators will have the chance to watch the pre-recorded talks and choose which presentations they want to translate. This will give you time to prepare and take some notes to be able to effectively provide live translation on your Mumble channel during your prepared talk. The Organizing Team will also provide onboarding about Mumble to help you familiarize with the platform.

You can find all the requirements and details on the SotM website: https://2021.stateofthemap.org/calls/translators/

Are you interested in helping and joining the translation volunteers group? Please contact via email sotm at openstreetmap.org<mailto:sotm at openstreetmap.org> before 28 June.
Thanks in advance to the ones that will answer to this call!

Federica
On behalf of SotM Working Group