[OSM-talk] komoot wiki on OSM

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:15:12 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 5:19 AM Eleonora Balbi via talk <
talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for following up!
>
> I may have given the wrong impression here by referring to Google
> streetview. We do not use other sources to contribute to OSM, rather we use
> them to try to find supporting (or opposing, as the case may be) evidence
> that backs up an edit request we get from landowners or organisations who
> contact komoot.

I am not a lawyer, but the Google terms of service would seem to prohibit
such use[0]:

*Prohibited Conduct....*
use Google Maps/Google Earth to create or augment any other mapping-related
dataset (including a mapping or navigation dataset, business listings
database, mailing list, or telemarketing list) for use in a service that is
a substitute for, or a substantially similar service to, Google Maps/Google
Earth;

[0] https://www.google.com/help/terms_maps/