[OSM-talk] Metrics

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Sat Oct 16 21:48:45 UTC 2021

Mike Thompson:

 >  Another common one is adding noexit=yes on the last node of a way that ends
 > near another way when there is no evidence as to whether it really connects.
 > Typically when one comments on changesets involving such changes, one never gets a
reply.

 > I suspect that some people are motivated to simply "run up the score."

Sometimes when you add new ways that ends close to other ways, you get comments from
people that are annoyed that they get many new warnings in their validators.

I try to avoid noexit=yes because even if there was evidence on the ground at some
time, it could have changed and it might not be clear why the noexit was there.

I prefer to tag the reason that the ways are not connected. I.e, add a fence, wall,
building, hedge, or ditch. Validators are smart enough to not give warning if there
are objects between ways ending close to each others. And it gives other mappers a
change to check if that hedge is still there or if there actually is a door in that
fence. Or to reassess whether a treeline or a kerb really is preventing people from
walking to the way.

A lot of noexit=yes can be removed by adding a footway that connect to the end of a
highway for cars.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen